Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"they prove they are God's children,"

I was paid a very good compliment today. It had nothing to do with what I was wearing or how I did my hair, which made it meaningful to me.
I was visiting my horseback riding instructor, Lindsey. She had a baby three months ago, and I hadn't seen them since she was a newborn. I'm going to do some painting for the baby's room so my mom and I went over there to visit. After talking for awhile, Lindsey said how her and her husband had talked and said that if their kids ended up like me and Lauren (another girl that I ride with) that they'd be fine.
This means a lot to me. Not just that someone would say that, though that means a lot. But to hear it coming from her means so much more to me. Lindsey has been a great person to have in my life. She's taught me so much. Whether that be how to handle a horse, or to share a verse of scripture that helps to wrangle fear, or to swallow that fear and put my big girl panties on. All these things I owe to her. It's a good feeling, a feeling of honor, to know she and her husband think so highly of me.
Trying to live my life by God's standards, means not always getting noticed. Well it gets you noticed, but people tend to turn it into a negative."You don't do that?" is something I hear a lot. They just assume that I've seen those movies, or that I talk that way. When they find out I don't, they're shocked because they're not used to someone who doesn't do that.
It's a humbling experience when a parent tell me that I'm a good influence on their kids and that they wouldn't mind if they turned out like me. I feel like I'm doing right when they say that. And that's a better reward than my peers thinking I'm "cool." I don't want to be cool if their standard of cool is what it is. It wouldn't be worth losing my witness over.

1 John 1:11
Dear friend, don't let this bad example influence you. Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God's children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God.

So thank you Lindsey for saying that. It means the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment