Thursday, August 7, 2008

She knows what worship is.



So I was looking at the sheet that was filled out showing who got what in the praise band. My mom drew up the sheet since she was on the panel(and it was fair for her to be on there two other people who tried out had parents on the panel), and on my thing she put "understands worship". So that made me do a double take. I guess just hearing(seeing) it from someone else got me thinking. In ways I do understand worship, but in many I don't. Worship to me is connecting with God through something I'm doing or something that's happening to me. This year in Praise Band has really challenged me in the way I view worship. This year our worship leader really focused on the youth NOT worshiping and trying to fix that by telling them how and practically forceing them to. Well for those of you who are youth or have been one, you know that when someone tries to force you to do something a wall goes up right away and you aren't open to learning what that person is trying to teach you. I have seen that wall go up so many times in the youth from up on stage when she tries to get them to worship and I know she does too and it's tough to see. But I know now that worship cannot be forced or asked to come. It's all about where that person is in there walk with Christ and if that walk is even there. Mike our youth minister said to the band that out job is just to get up there and lead and make the music sound good so it's not distracting to anyone. That is a good standard for us. If we just focus on what the music is and worshiping for ourselves. So from in the crowd they can see that and follow because they see what we're doing and wonder why. Then they have that seed of worship planted in them and that interest grows for them and they devlop thier way of worshiping and not a way that someone says they should. Worship is not about the actual act of doing so. It's the heart of who is worshiping. If I as a worship leader got up there and told the youth that worship is all about raising your hands, I would be wrong. Because some would know that raising your hands is a way to worship, but for the rest who don't know that, would be confused them beacuse they wouldn't know that raising your hands can be a part of worship. But if we let go and let God control that then everything will fall into place. Everyone can worship as GOd wants them to.
Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment