Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Flood of Memories

In a few days it will mark the one year anniversary of the May Flood that hit Nashville and its surrounding areas. Along with this event has come in a torrent on severe storms and LOTS of rain. It is not making for a marker for all who went through what last year brought. Roads, schools, and bridges are closing as the rain falls. Ponds, streams, creeks, and rivers are rising to or beyond their flood stages. And the rain is still falling. People in flood prone areas who have just finished rebuilding are being told to leave their homes yet again. I can't begin to imagine what they're feeling. The memories are bad enough for me even though nothing I own was damaged. It's these memories however, that remind me how blessed to live on a hill. That something that simple keeps me from the damage so real to others I know. I'm beyond thankful for God's providence.
I was thinking about all this this morning as I went about getting ready for the day and I said in a prayer, "God please don't let it flood again." Almost immediately a chorus of a song popped into my head. It was the song "Let the Waters Rise" by the band Mikes Chair. The chorus says, "Let the waters rise if you want them to I will follow you. I will follow you."
That reminded me how God works through things. I'm just supposed to follow where he's going with it. God will use a flood this year just like he used the one a year ago. Maybe we needed to have a reminder of what happened a year ago. Like how everyone pulled together to help there own. How there was no looting, just neighbors helping neighbors. How people who didn't even know what they would find rushed into neighborhoods and houses to help people out of houses that were soon to be flooded. The May Flood of 2010 showed just what Tennesseans were made of. And believe me, what was shown makes me proud to this day to say I'm from Tennessee.
God has a plan for this reminder of all we went through last year and if that be waters rising again, I'll follow him.

No comments:

Post a Comment