Thursday, December 16, 2010

Magnify: to extol; glorify

I've been thinking a lot about how Mary must have felt when the angel came and told her she was going to give birth to the Messiah. It would having been scary enough having an angel appear in front of you but to have one show up and tell you you're going to have a kid, who by the way is the Savior of the World. Can you say mind blowing?
Mary accepted this with such grace though. She asked one question. "How can this be, since I am a virgin?" (that's a pretty big question but it's a lot less than I would have asked.)
The angel explained that the Holy Spirit would come over and she would conceive and give birth to a son, For nothing is impossible with God. I don't know that I could handle this like Mary did. It would be wonderful to be used by God in such a way but it would be tough because people would not believe a story like that.
"Yeah an angel came and told me that I'm going to have a baby and he's going to be a Messiah."
Would you believe that it a friend said that to you? I wouldn't. I can't imagine how Mary's family took that. In the Bible, it even said Joseph was going to secretly divorce Mary. Mary took this all in stride. Despite all the ridicule and speculation she went trough, Mary praised God. Saying, "My soul doth magnify the Lord!"
I pray that I may be able to do just. No matter the situation, no matter the calling God gives to me. I want to be able to say, "My soul doth magnify the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment